I don’t remember the prices for all of these off hand (I barely remember making some of them, it was a very busy weekend!) but here are a few containers I’ve made up over the last week or two.
This was for an order. The customer had the gold pinecones and frosted pears left over from previous years and wanted them used in a winter-y container rather than Christmas-y (a very common request this year). It was made with a basic skirt of BC Cedar and Gold Tipped cedar with Birch and Carolina Sapphire (Cupressus arizonica var. glabra). I added some Magnolia leaves (Magnolia grandiflora I believe) and dark purple dyed Baby Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus pulverulenta ‘Baby Blue’ or similar). She needed it to be a 360 degree design which is always a huge pain. I will pretty much only make these when someone requests one. The problem is that decorating several sides of the container drives the price way up.
This was fun. The insert that had been by the front doors to the store had sold and we needed new ones done up. Very basic design, greens are BC Cedar and Noble Fir with Magnolia.
I like the idea of these but they’re poorly balanced. would have done two gold grape vine balls on one side one on the other with the pine cones spread more evenly to both sides if I did it now. Maybe I’ll do more of these better on Tuesday. I don’t think they were overly expensive and they went fast enough (red/gold always does).
I’ve already started falling into a rut here. One sided design, one main focal point with evenly balanced stuff on either side (as corrected from the container above) with some sort of sticks for height, Carolina Sapphire as a backdrop, Magnolia and a skirt of Cedar. It’s an easy layout. I’ve done the same with Birch poles, Flame Willow, Birch and Willow, Dogwood, Birch and Dogwood, and sometimes, as in this container, shiny sticks. I used plain Eucalyptus here as well. This is actually one of my favourite designs from this year, I think I did it to use up bits and pieces from another design.
I was bored so something different. I think that’s Silver Fir as a backdrop, Bud’s Yellow Dogwood branches, and dark purples and yellows. The people who bought this one switched the Dogwood for Flame willow, the apples for silvery glittery pine cones, and the other things for small silver balls. It was still pretty out there with the contrast between the silver and purple but a little more normal than purple/yellow. That’s the other thing about these containers. You can do whatever you want and there will be someone who wants to buy it.
Not a fan. Didn’t even think about this until I was looking at my pictures. I guess they sold pretty fast though because they aren’t around anymore. I think it was mostly the pine. Hate the stuff. And again it’s unbalanced. Would do this completely different if I remade these..
And a detailed shot. You can see there’s some potential here with the same materials and a different layout.
I have mixed feelings about this one. It was a request of sorts. Only the customer requesting it didn’t know what she was looking for and showed me two completely different containers and said she liked both but wanted to spend half as much. I was aiming for an asymmetric design with Magnolia cascading from higher on one side to lower but I think on the inside I was trying it balance it out more because I wasn’t sure the customer would appreciate it as much so it became muddy and a little confused. They loved it anyway and I’ve now finished the second one for a request – used Oasis to get the Magnolia more in line with my “vision.”
Detail. On the plus side someone else has requested the same design for next Saturday (I guess by the time this is published I’ll have maybe already made the new one) so I get to try again this week. I will see what I can do to make it all flow and work well as a concept and be balanced as well. Maybe the Magnolia will go more off-center back to opposite off-center at the front so I can do completely symmetrical cedar, centred willow (I used Dogwood here but I’ll switch it up for the second attempt) and balanced decorations. I am quite happy with my ribbon cheat though. Each loop is individually wired to a stick and I can move them wherever I want without issue. This gives me incredible flexibility and is way easier than making a bow (or anything else along those lines).